Southampton is the largest city in Hampshire, with a population of around 235,000 inhabitants, with a lot more in the satellite towns.
It has a strong maritime history, and still has a busy shipping port, cruise ship dock and numerous marinas. It is known as the ‘Green City’ due to the large number of public parks, most notably Southampton Common.
Southampton has developed as a regional hub, with a number of large company offices, such as Skandia, Ordnance Survey and Carnival based in the city, as well as the Southampton University and Hospital
Shoppers are very well catered for, with the WestQuay shopping centre housing most national chain stores, and smaller centres and individual shops surroundings it. Southampton also caters for the annual Boat Show.
There are a number of local high streets within the city, offering local alternatives, such as Portswood, Bitterne, and Shirley.
Google Map of Southampton
If you are thinking of letting a flat in Southampton, here’s some useful links:
- Southampton City Council: Council Tax, Waste Collection, Leisure Services, Schools, Roads and Parking
- First Group: Operates buses around Southampton, as do Uni Link
in certain areas
- Southampton Football Club: The local team
- Southampton Pub Guide: Guide to the local pubs
- Visit Southampton: The tourism page, but also has lots of useful information on local services and activities in Southampton
- Daily Echo: local newspaper, also features job listings
- Southern Electric: You can use any electricity company, but this is the local one
- Southern Water: local water utility supply